Blogging has become an extremely popular activity as there are various blogging platforms which help bloggers to share whatever information they want with the world. Blogger and WordPress are the two most renowned blogging mediums. After you use one platform, you will want to shift to another due to the limitations a platform puts on your blogging goals.
However, you can easily switch and transfer files from one blogging platform to another. Wondering how you want to do it without losing the existing subscribers, page rank or Google search traffic? Well, there are options using which you can transfer all blog posts and comments to a new WordPress blog. A lot of work is required in transferring a blog from one medium to another but the most crucial issues which you face include: losing organic search traffic to pages as the permalinks of the altered blog posts.
Users come to a site through search engines, browser bookmarks and backlinks. But, once a blog is migrated to WordPress, blogger does not redirect the new links to a blog automatically. You can also lose the subscribed readership to your blogger RSS feed as they may not subscribe manually to new WordPress RSS feed.
Medialinkers web design agency shares a step by step guide on how to migrate a blog from blogger to WordPress in simple to understand language. It will transfer all the Google Juice of a blogger blog to the WordPress medium.
When starting the migration process from blogger to WordPress, spend some time in getting a blogger blog’s back up. This includes everything from the XML templates, comments and blog posts. Try to get a new domain, web hosting and install WordPress on it. After WordPress installation, it is time to migrate to an existing blog.
- You are required to import content present on a blogger blog to a new site. Go to WordPress Admin Dashboard and check “Tools.”
- Select Tools -> Import -> Blogger option to get a pop-up window where you can click “Install Now.”
- Press “Activate Plugin & Run Importer” tab.
- Click “Authorize” to let WordPress access a blogger account, importing all the comments and blog posts to a new WP blog. Click “Allow Access.”
- This will make you visit a page showing post status and comments to click “Import” for finally transferring the stuff.
- After the transfer is complete, the import tab becomes “Set Authors” tab. You get to “Author Mapping” page to allocate another writer to the posts. After making the entire Author mapping settings, save changes to proceed. This will complete the process of transferring an existing content to a new domain in a successful way.
- Visit WordPress dashboard and check settings -> Permalinks. You can select a URL structure best fitting with the one you previously had on a blogger blog. This will also redirect the Blogger blog’s redirection to the WordPress blog.
- After this work is done, you will have to work on the “redirection” part. Redirection tells a blogger about where the new site is. It helps bloggers to redirect visitors and subscribers to a new blog, keeping the backlinks and rankings intact.
- You also require a smart plugin such as “Blogger to WordPress” in a WordPress account. Activate and install it for automatically redirecting the blogger blog’s visitors to a new blog. After a plugin is activated, visit WordPress admin to select Tools > Blogger to WordPress Redirection option and click the “Start Configuration” tab.
- This will take you to another page where you will see a list of transferred Blogger blogs. You will also get an option “Get Code” on your blog, clicking which you will get a generated code. Copy the code, go to the old Blogger blog’s dashboard and check the “Template” menu. Press “Edit HTML” tab of blog’s theme.
- Paste the copied code to replace the existing code in a template to click “Save Template.” However, before replacing the code, you need to backup the template to rollback to in case something bad happens.
Checking and Testing
After the process of code pasting is complete, check to see if it works well. For doing this, enter the URL of any of your old Blogger’s blog posts to automatically redirect to the same information on the new WordPress blog.
This is it; do not delete your Blogger blog after the transfer of files to WordPress blog is complete, as the Blogger blog will still perform the process of redirecting visitors to a new blog.
Redirect Blogger RSS Feed and WordPress Subscribers
Visit Blogger Dashboard and select Setting -> other. This will show “Post Feed Redirect URL” option where you will click “ADD” letting you enter the WordPress feed URL. “Save Settings” once done.
Congratulations, your Blogger blog is fully transferred to the new WordPress blog with all visitors, rankings and subscribers. You can hire a professional design agency such as Medialinkers web design to design your new WordPress blog.